The GNGH Foundation’s mission is to develop, manage, and distribute charitable resources to support and enhance the provision of patient care programs and services at the Greater Niagara General site and for the Niagara Health system.
While we work closely with the Niagara Health System we operate independently to best represent the needs of the community. Therefore, the Foundation is representing you, the donor, and the residents of Niagara Falls.
The people of Niagara Falls have always understood the importance of their hospital. When the first hospital was constructed in 1907, the community rallied around it, raising their share of the $25,000.00 it cost to build.
Within fifty years, Niagara Falls outgrew the old Jepson hospital site and, in 1956, construction began on the current hospital. Even though there was no formal foundation to organize the fund raising, Niagara Falls residents managed to pull together to provide enough money for the community portion of the $3.1 million project.
The Niagara Falls community continued to donate to their hospital throughout the years, and in 1974, a group of civic minded individuals had the foresight to recognize the need to establish a charitable Foundation as a means of organizing and growing the hospital’s fund raising efforts to support our local hospital.
As a result of their efforts, the Greater Niagara General Hospital Foundation (GNGHF) was established with the sole purpose of working with the community to raise and manage the funds that go towards the purchase of new or replacement equipment at the Greater Niagara General.